Saturday, November 20, 2010

Debbie Does Dallas (1978)

I do not think it necessary to write the synopsis of this film since it is  quite well known. This is a movie that I watch fairly regularly despite the fact that I have many films of better qualities. Indeed, the scenario is not the most original and the acting talent of some actresses is more than bad (Bambi Woods is the perfect example of that, her line delivery is sure awfull), but this movie has a little something special. Of course there Bambi Woods, but when you look at the distribution more closely we see that it is filled with big name. Indeed, Christie Ford, Rikki O'Neal, Merle Michaels, Georgette Saunders, Arcadia Lake and Kasey Rodgers are all part of the cheerleading squad. In addition of Robert Kerman, Eric Edwards, Jake Teague, Herschel Savage, David Morris and Tony Mansfield of the male side. It should also be added that some of the scenes are quite hot, for example one that takes place in the locker room shower (it almost makes me want to go back to the university to try it). There are of course the teasing  game with Bambi Woods, Jim Buckley, the director, knows what the viewer expects and he sure make him wait (70 minutes to finally reach the big scene between Bambi Woods and Robert Kerman).

The waiting time isn't that long since the rest of the cast do a good job. I must also admit that I prefer Rikki O'Neal a lot more than Bambi Woods, which is a bit annoying because her scene is a poor threesome with Jenny Cole and David Pierce.
In short, a classic in which it is always nice to dive back.

The version I own is the Definitive Collector's Edition released four years ago by Kitty Media that contains two of the worst commentary tracks I have ever heard (one totally useless with Robin Byrd and the other incredibly boring with Phillip Charles Bernstene), but the film quality is 100% better than the other release I bought from Excalibur Films some years before (the price is lower but it's taken from a tape master and the sound isn't really good). Another version was also release later without the TV cable version (wich isn't a big loss) and a commentary track with Herschel Savage, but I'm unable to locate it at all (wich is annoying since I would like to have it). There is also the Wild Side Video version released in february this year who is probably the best one (judging from the other titles I own in this collection) that I don't own yet, but will  certainly get later (I'm a sucker for the numbered collection even when the titles are quite costly to get because we must import them). 

No comments:

Post a Comment